Sunday, March 14, 2010

My 21st birthday

Ok, so I'm finally here, and I'll finally talk about my 21st birthday, which was on Friday.

It was pretty good. I've been dealing with depression recently (I'm actually going to the doctor about it), and have been up and down, but luckily Friday was an up day for me. So that was pretty good.

I went to a class on shamanism. It's something that pretty much happens every Friday, but I'd stopped going to it for one reason or another. Sometimes I needed to work on Fridays, and when I didn't need to work I was too sleep deprived and had to sleep in. But not this week. On my birthday week, I made sure that I'd be able to go. It was pretty good.

We spent like the first two hours talking. Everyone was answering the question of who their favorite deity was, and why. Now realize, there were many different people from many different paths in that room, and not everyone had really thought about the divine in terms of polytheism before. So that was an interesting question. And of course, as we went around the room we inevitably went off on tangents. That's why it took two hours.

We had a lunch break, and then did a shamanic journey, during which I feel asleep. Hopefully I wasn't snoring, like one other person was before I feel asleep...

I baby sit the cat Boris, and had dinner with my family. Spaghetti, with mushrooms. Yummy. Or anyways, there were mushrooms on my plate. Everyone had different stuff, according to what they preferred.

After that I put on a crown, and and went to a belly dancing thingy that a friend of mine was helping put together. She told all her friends that her it was the 21st birthday of the girl in the crown, and I found myself being wished happy birthday by a lot of people who I only know by sight. One of the dancers even made her way over to me to wish me happy birthday during her part of the show! (We were at a cafe, so the dancers could move around among the tables if they liked, though they really only did that in their final numbers in which they would get tips.) So that was a pretty good evening.

After that I went home where I had cake and presents. The cake was cheesecake, which I asked Tall One to make.

Tall One makes the best cheesecake. This one wasn't aged quite as much as we had planned, because he had a final paper he had to write, but nonetheless it was absolutely delicious.

So the presents...I got a mortal and pestle, a iTunes gift certificate with a list of suggested games to get for my iPhone, and some wine. The wine surprised me, believe it or not.

In the past I've always hated alcoholic drinks. But mom went to a wine shop and requested help in choosing a wine for a daughter who didn't tend to like alcohol. I think I might actually enjoy it, if I have it with the right food. It's definitely better than any other wine I've ever tasted.

So, that was my birthday, more or less.

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like a fabulous birthday! Congrats on being 21, it's a great age to be!

Sarita Rucker said...

Yeah, I guess so.

It's like, "wow, I'm a year older..."

Lyon said...

Happy Belated Birthday, m'dear!

Magaly Guerrero said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! I'm glad Tall One, your mom and your friends made it a special day for you. I'm sorry to hear about the depression, but I'm sure it'll get better in time--we all have our episodes every now and then, or so I tell myself because it is awful to feel alone in this huge world.

Um, are we going to see a pic of the present in action. Hm, I need a new mortar and pestle....

Willow Silverhorse said...

I wish my 21st birthday had been that fun. But this year, for my 22nd Miss K threw me a surprise party with a few of my closer friends. Congrats on the 21! Also, I hope you continue to have more "up" days. I've been down that road before... if you need to talk just email me or find me on Facebook or Myspace, I'll also gladly give you my yahoo messenger name so you can chat if you need, just let me know :D

Sarita Rucker said...

Yeah, the depression will get better in time. But at the moment it's rather miserable. (I'm having a down day today.) But as I said I'm getting help, which is good.