Friday, March 5, 2010

Poets and pain

A few years I was in a poetry class at PCC. That was actually when I really started writing poetry, by the way. But anyways, on to my point...

A poet visited one of our classes. Some of his poems were about heart ache, and someone asked him if he'd gotten over the girl who the poems were about. He said, "A poet can never really get over pain. We have to hang on to it for our poems."

I disagree. Yes, pain and grief can bring about poetry, but we shouldn't hang on to it unnecessarily. Why suffer needlessly? Poems that come from joy can be just as good as the poems that come from pain.

In case you're wondering, this memory came to mind and I decided to write it down because I'm feeling somewhat depressed.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I agree, Sarita. Too many poets, writers and artists think they have to live in misery in order to create, whether that misery be heartache, addiction, violence or whatever.

Sarita Rucker said...

Yeah. I even heard one English professor who happened to also be a poet say "Don't even try writing before you're 30. You won't have suffered enough."

It's sort of sad, when I stop to think about it, that some people think that you have to have suffered to be able to create some form of art. (And I'm including poetry and writing as art here.)