Thursday, March 18, 2010

Problem solving

Thanks to my job, I've encountered the same situation several times in the last few weeks: having to write down info (like names and addresses) that people give me over the phone. And guess what happened? I kept getting the letters/numbers mixed up, so that it took several tries for me to get it right.

The first time this happened I just thought "Oh darn, that didn't go well."

The second time I thought "Ok, it didn't go well that time either..."

The third time I was writing down the address of my piano teacher, and this time I thought "So, this is a recurring problem. So, what am I going to do about it, since it frustrates not only me but also the person on the other end of the phone?"

I quickly decided that the next time I found myself having to write things down like that, I would say "Please spell things out slowly, because otherwise I'll get it all mixed up."

And guess what? I discovered today that my solution works! I was very pleased to find that out. The thing I like about it is that it's so simple.

I suspect that my mixing the letters/numbers up is probably due to my dyslexia. It isn't nearly as bad for me as it is for some people, but it pops up from time to time.

No comments: