Saturday, March 6, 2010

They want my blood (and probably yours)

I've mentioned before that I donate blood. The Red Cross apparently likes my blood, because they have called me several times since the first time I donated asking if I wanted to donate some more.

Actually, the truth is that they like anyone's blood, so long as the person is eligible to donate. And here is a link to the Red Cross website to help you determine if you're eligible. Unless I'm mistake, most people are.

The first time I donated was late last spring. I'd considered donating before, but always found some excuse not to. Finally there was a blood drive going on at my school, and I decided that I had no real excuse not to go. So, I went.

On the day of the blood drive I mentioned to one of my class mates that I was going to donate. She said "I tried to donate once, but I fainted." That was not what I needed to hear. But, I went forward with my plans.

Things went pretty well for me. I didn't get lightheaded, I didn't faint, and I didn't freak out at the sight of my own blood -- although it is pretty weird to see this red liquid in a bag, and know that it's my own blood I'm looking at. And the needle being in my arm isn't pleasant, but oh well. A little bit of pain is fine when I know it's allowing me to help save lives.

And I'm talking about donating blood because I donated today. This was my third time. I plan to donate again as soon as I can.

I'd also like to share a little video, which will show you how easy it is to donate.



The Red Cross always needs more blood. Why not sign up today to donate? Here is a link to their website.

ps. No, I'm not getting paid to advertise for them. This is just something that I think more people need to be helping with, so I decided to talk about it on my blog and show people how easy it is to donate.