Monday, April 5, 2010

Baby hawks

Spring 2008 was the first spring my family spent in our current house. Imagine our surprise when one evening we saw young red tailed hawks flying overhead. We were even more surprised when we figured out that the nest was in a fir tree that was just a few houses down from us.

The following year, which was of course last year, we saw more young red tailed hawks. We started to think that it might be a regular occurrence, so this spring I've been keeping an eye out for young red tailed hawks again.

And then guess what I saw yesterday? A young red tailed hawk who was trying out his wings.

They are beautiful birds. They don't sound nice, but that's ok. Since I know it's specifically parents and youngsters that I'm hearing I'm too charmed to care what they sound like, and from experience I know that they'll be gone before they can start to grate on my nerves.

No comments: