Saturday, April 3, 2010

An Easter Story

I was putting candy into plastic eggs in preparation for Easter, and I remembered this story I read some years ago. I think I read it in a Chicken Soup for the Soul book, but I'm not sure.

*******

The week before Easter at the Sunday school the teacher was talking about the holiday and what it meant. She told her young students to find something that was symbolic of life to them, and to bring it the next week inside a plastic Easter egg to share with the class.

The following week everyone brought their eggs to class, and shared what was inside them. One boy had brought nothing inside his egg. The boy was intellectually disabled so the teacher assumed that he hadn't understood what the class doing. She tried to move on to the next student quickly, but he stopped her and explained:

"On the day that Jesus was resurrected his tomb was empty."

*******

It was a while ago that I read this story, and it's sort of funny that I even remember it. I'll have to think on it, though, because I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. Any thoughts? Hopefully you'll be able to comment.

By the way, there's a definite perk to attending a Catholic University -- it was completely closed for Christmas, and it is closed again for Good Friday and Easter.

Of course, the downside is that I want to talk to the registrars office, and can't do that until Monday...

No comments: