Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fun fun side effects (not)

I briefly mentioned in another post that the dosage of one of my medications was recently ("recently" as in a month ago) increased, and that the side effect that popped up was loss of appetite.

Because I wasn't hungry I didn't eat much -- probably about half as much as usual, or less. It took me a couple days to realize that something was wrong, and it took me a couple more days to finally realize that it might be the medication. And then I was surprised when I wound up feeling weak and light headed!

Seriously, I was surprised to be feeling weak and light headed. But I quickly realized "Well duh! If I don't eat much I'm going to have to deal with some consequences!" I wound up skipping school and work for a day because I needed to just focus on myself, take it easy, and MAKE SURE that I ate enough.

Then today I realized something else: when I finally get over my loss of appetite I might gain too much weight if I'm not careful. Why? Because I'm used to stuffing myself now (or feeling like I'm stuffing myself, which is what counts) to make sure that I eat enough.

By the way, we have lowered the dosage of that medication. Loss of appetite is not a nice side effect.

6 comments:

皓珊 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tricia said...

Dear, you don't need to stuff yourself, put a timer on and eat a little bit every few hours. Don't eat until you want to puke, or your stomach hurts.

pm'd you the rest of my comment...

Sarita Rucker said...

I don't stuff myself as in making my stomach hurts or I feel like puking. That wouldn't be good.

What I meant when I said that I "stuff myself" is that I eat until I feel very very full. Or I try to anyways, sometimes. But I definitely do stop before it gets painful.

Judy said...

It's easy to start and not easy to stop eating...and you never know what is enough until you feel stuffed...best to make small amounts to eat and stick with those...

Magaly Guerrero said...

I agree with Judy. I, for instance, eat a bunch of small portions a day. I do binge on fruit though ;-)

Just keep an eye on thing and make sure you eat, even if you don't feel hungry. Like that you won't feel the need to stuff yourself when you do get hungry. Hope that made sense.

Sarita Rucker said...

I've started a food diary, which I think will help.

And I am getting my appetite back! It's not back to normal yet, but it's getting there.