Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My herb garden this year

This is my third year of having an herb garden, and I think it's also my third year of having fruit trees in the yard. And, I have photos to share. :)




The above two photos are baby pears on our pear tree.


This is our apple tree, which is flowering nicely.


This is Kentucky Colonel Mint, a new addition to my garden.

It's not actually in my herb patch, however. I've learned my lesson about that one -- mint is invasive, and will take over your garden given half a chance. Better to just give it the space it wants and let it do its thing.


This is another kind of mint, which is also a new addition. Again, it isn't actually in my garden either, but in a place where it is free to spread out.

The exact name of this one escapes me, but I think it's Pineapple Mint.

I took these photos yesterday. I did get three new plants today, but didn't feel like taking photos. Two of them were garden sages, and I can't remember what the other one is. It's one that I was unfamiliar with, but I felt like something was telling me that it would be a good addition to my garden.


Yesterday was so nice that for a little while we had just the screen between the cats and the outdoors instead of the glass door. Naturally, the cats loved it.

That's Socks on the left and Kokopelle on the right. Yes, I can tell the difference between them in this photo, even though they're both black and have their backs to me. How? Socks is somewhat scraggly, and Kokopelle isn't.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My cat loves to smell fresh air through the screen, too.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I want a cat and I want to plant some herbs too ;-( But it's going to have to wait a bit, so I'll have to enjoy yours.

Sarita Rucker said...

Debra -- Don't all cats?

Magaly -- If you're interested in looking at gardens on blogs you might want to check out http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/. With the spring season she's been talking all about her garden.