Saturday, May 1, 2010

Beltane and Labyrinth Day

First, a quick update on our sick kitty.

Saphira is getting better. She hadn't been drinking water, but she finally drank some out of my dad's hand this evening. That's good, since I don't think anyone of us was looking forward to the prospect of forcing her to get liquid into her. She's also a more active, and purred earlier today.

And I found out another detail yesterday evening -- not only does she have a heart murmur and is aging prematurely, but an x-ray showed that one of her shoulders has been dislocated at some time or other in the past. This was very surprising to us. We've never seen her shoulder hurt, and the breeder didn't tell us anything about an injury. I assume that her shoulder was dislocated when she was really small and the mommy cat wouldn't let the breeder get close enough to realize something was wrong.

Now, onto Beltane and labyrinth stuff!!!

Today is the international labyrinth day. The idea was for as many people as possible to walk a labyrinth at 1pm (in their own time zones) so that a wave of peace would wash around the world. Yes, I did participate.

And then this day is also Beltane. For those who don't know, Beltane is Pagan speak for May Day. We celebrate the turning of the seasons: the equinoxes and solstices, and times halfway between each of those four celebrations, adding up to a total of eight celebrations days throughout the year.

(You may (or may not) notice that I spell Beltane as with an "i" in my labels. There are variations on the spellings, and my favorite spelling just happens to have changed.)

So we have the labyrinth day and Beltane falling on the same day. Well, one Pagan at school decided to combine the two celebrations! Yep, we danced a May Pole while walking a labyrinth today. It was amazing.

It struck me as sort of funny that we were doing a Pagan ritual at a Catholic college, lol, but no one was complained. I guess that's Portland for you. It's a great place to live!

Ok, I think I've rambled enough for now. :)

ps. Remind me to talk about my first experience with Pagan Standard Time later.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad to hear Saphira is starting to feel better! And didn't you have a busy day today -- labyrinths, maypoles, fun!

Sarita Rucker said...

I even got ice cream on the way home! And finished a book for school, too.

And yes, Saphira looks much better than she did yesterday. I still worry about her, but she's not in any immediate danger.