Sunday, May 23, 2010

Birthday and birdies

It was Tall One's birthday today!

Last month we started regular get togethers with some of Tall One's band mates, and this month's just happened to be today, on his birthday. That was pretty nice.

I mostly stayed in other other room during the get together because of the Highland pipes. Yeah, I guess I could have used ear plugs, but I didn't.

Tall One got a really cool swiss army knife and a couple of iTunes gift cards. He made the cake -- cheese cake -- himself, because he didn't trust anyone else in the family to make it. Then when it came time to dinner he wanted me (not mom) to make the lasagna, because (if I may say so myself) of all the cooks in the family I make the best lasagna.

I think he has enjoyed his birthday.

I also wanted to share...

There is a really big bush right next to my bedroom window. Kokopelle has always been interested in it because it's a good shelter for birds, but he was showing more interest than usual in it lately. I didn't think much of it, until today I suddenly saw a baby bird hopping around in the branches!!!!

I have a nest of scrub jays just outside my window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a good view of them, and I'm not even sure where the nest is located in the tree. But I can tell you that even though the hatchlings aren't ready to fly yet, they're exploring the giant bush a little. I would share a photo, but I couldn't get any good ones. The camera keeps focusing on the branches extending towards it instead of in to the bush. Oh well.

They are so adorable.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

How cute that Kokopelle tipped you off about the birds! Keep the window closed, LOL!

Happy Birthday to the Tall One. Lang may his lum reek.

Sarita Rucker said...

There's no way he'll get to them. That wont' stop him from drooling, though!

And what does "Lang may his lum reek." mean?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I believe it's Scottish dialect for "long may his chimney smoke" i.e. long may he live in the comfort of home. It's a traditional Scottish way of wishing someone well.