Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day stories

Several years ago I saw a European Starling mommy. The starling mommy was being followed around the yard by several youngsters. The youngsters were pestering her for food. And when I say pestering, I mean PESTERING. It was rather amusing. The youngsters were old enough to feed themselves, but they didn't seem to have figured that out.

Another year there was a mommy starling who was eating at our bird feeder, and a youngster was (again) pestering her for food. She tried to show the youngster, but finally gave up and flew off. After the mommy flew off the youngster finally figured out how to eat out of the bird feeder. Then the youngster flew off. After the youngster flew off the mommy starling showed up again with a worm for the youngster. I didn't see this for myself, but apparently she was quite ticked off at the youngster's ungratefulness, so she threw down the worm and flew off.

And all this brings me to this video, which I thought you might find amusing. I know I did.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh dear! Be nice to your Momma!

Sarita Rucker said...

lol. Yep. Because an irritated mommy might feed her young to the sharks! ;)