Friday, June 18, 2010

Donating blood

Wow. It's been four days since I posted anything here. I can't believe that. Can you believe that?

Anyways, today I donated blood. For the (I think) fifth time. By now I'm getting used to the routine. It's pretty easy. I think that the worst part is when they prick my finger to check my iron level. Yes, to me that's even worse than a pint of blood being drawn out of my body from a vein in my arm.

And, just in case you're wondering why it's a good idea to donate blood, I have here a video that's under 2 minutes short.




Today something happened that hasn't happened before to me. Once they were done drawing blood and had removed the needle from my arm, it took a couple minutes for the bleeding to stop. I was getting worried, but apparently it was nothing new to the guy who had drawn my blood. He just kept putting pressure on it, then had me hold my arm over my head. That did the trick, and the bleeding stopped. It weirded me out, though.

Also interesting was the location of the blood drive. It was in a church, which in itself wasn't surprising. Hey, churches are great places to do things like this, since you can get the space for free. What was surprising was something I saw inside the church, which taught me something about the Seventh Day Adventist Christians.

There was a bulletin board labeled "The Ending Days" and it had clippings of news stories about murders, the war, catastrophes, and other fun stuff like that.

Live and learn! Of course I know that some people think that the world is coming to an end, but I didn't expect to see a bulletin board all about it when I'm donating blood.

3 comments:

Madam Lost said...

You know, some folks might look at the bulletin board, look at the nice friendly people drawing blood, look back and the bulletin board and say, "why bother, we won't need our bodies soon anyway."

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yeah, the world has been coming to an end now for thousands of years!

Sarita Rucker said...

Yep. :)