Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Litha

For those of you who don't speak Pagan, Litha is another word for summer solstice.

My Litha this year was pretty good. It was the first day in ages that I volunteered in circulation at the library (as opposed to mending books in technical services), so I got to see people who I haven't really seen in a while. No, I didn't plan for my first day back to be on Litha. It just sort of happened that way.

In the evening I got together with a friend. Our spur of the moment plan was to do crafty stuff, and have a bonfire in my backyard. Yes, I do have a fire pit in the backyard. No, we don't take advantage of it too often, but it's fun when we do use it.

My friend and I had trouble getting the fire started, however. We couldn't get the fire to get going and to stay alive and not die on us. Given more time I think we could have managed, but Tall One came to our rescue and started the fire.

He is amazing with fire. Maybe I should rename him Fire Tender.

It wound up with mom, Tall One, my friend, and me hanging out around the fire. Except, I don't think that we were the only ones enjoying the fire. I'm pretty darned sure that there were some faeries there too. In fact, I know there were. Of course I couldn't see them, but you don't have to see faeries to know they're there.

The fire got started during dusk, and we (that is, Tall One) kept it going until the embers died at 12:30am. Mom went to bed at about 10:30pm, and Tall One when he finished tending the fire. I got a sleeping bag to sleep under the stars/clouds when the fire was dying, but my friend stayed up so that she could make stuff.

Some of us definitely didn't get enough sleep that night, but it was fun.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Fire pits are great, aren't they?

Sarita Rucker said...

Yep. :)

Judy said...

Sounds like a great time...

Sarita Rucker said...

It definitely was.