Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My adventures

I traveled by myself for the first time this weekend.

It was a school field trip in which my Shakespeare class went to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland to see the three plays we read: Hamlet, Henry IV, and Twelfth Night. I stayed an extra day so that I could hang out and watch Pride and Prejudice. As a result, my classmates left about twenty four hours before I did, and I couldn't get a ride home with any of them. So what did I do? I took the bus home.

I traveled by myself. Completely by myself. Not even with classmates who I barely knew. Totally. By. Myself.

I was a tad worried ahead of time, and expected to be nervous (or even a little scared) when it finally came time for me to step onto the bus. But I wasn't. It was pretty neat. It isn't my preferred method of travel, but it's not bad. Aside from the restroom on the bus. That was definitely bad.

But back to Ashland and the plays. By the way, I won't give any plot away in the plays I mention. I promise.

The plays were great. I definitely like Hamlet more after seeing it performed live. Twelfth Night was as hilarious as I could have hoped, with my only complaint being that Olivia seemed rather over the top and wasn't believable to me. As for Henry IV, I already had trouble with that play. I did finally understand the first half of the play for the most part, but became pretty lost in the second. Oh well. The fighting scenes were cool.

Those were the ones I saw with my class. The one I saw by myself, Pride and Prejudice, was also awesome. It was as good as I could have hoped, and better. There were two characters who weren't quite as I had imagined them, but at the same time they were portrayed so well I didn't care that they weren't exactly what I'd had in mind.

And Ashland itself was amazing. But I think I'll save that for another post, along with photos. :)

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds exciting! There's nothing like live theatre, is there? And now that you are a seasoned bus traveller, there will be no keeping you at home!