Sunday, June 20, 2010

My strawberries, or lack thereof

I love strawberries. Eating too many can give me canker sores, but ah well. I can eat some without any fear.

There are some wild strawberry vines in my backyard, right by my herb
patch. Each year I eagerly watch the flowers grow on them, become pollinated, slowly turn into green strawberries, and eventually ripen. Store bought strawberries just don't compare to those eaten fresh off the vine.

So you can imagine my dismay when I discovered that slugs have gotten to the first ripe strawberries before me. I didn't even know that slugs will eat strawberries! The nerve of them. First my basil plant, and now my strawberries. They've never attacked my part of the garden before.

I had been happy to coexist with slugs before now, but I think I just might start waging war on them.



By the way, Father's Day is not forgotten. I'll share a post about that later. :)

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Too bad about the strawberries! I believe the cure for slugs is to put out a shallow dish of beer for them.

Madam Lost said...

The beer is in the laundry room. Take all you need. [Don't worry -- all slugs are of legal age to drink, even the tiny ones.]

Diandra said...

Unfortunately I know no way of getting rid of slugs without killing them (beer or salt will do the trick and leave you with the corpses).

But honestly, that's okay - I have a treaty with the spiders: Everyone who comes inside is toast, but I will tolerate them everywhere else (including the balcony). And it seems to work - so far we have only had one in our apartment, and in the old one (where I lived for almost two years) I think I can count the dead spiders with one hand and still have fingers left.

~Haley~ said...

Yep, we found out through tons of research there's pretty much no way to get rid of slugs without killing them. Your post made my mouth water, we have some strawberries, but none are ripe yet!

Sarita Rucker said...

Agh. I really don't like killing slugs, but if that's what it takes to keep them away from my strawberries, then that's what I'll do.

Diandra, I sort of do the same thing with spiders. Or I try to. Any in the house are fair game (but in truth I usually ignore them if I can) but outside, I don't kill them. Destroying their webs if they're in the way, though, that's another matter...