Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"We built your house"

Have you ever met one of the people who built your house? I did. Last Friday.

We were putting our gear in our car, about to head off to the Highland Game. I saw an elderly man and woman in a car driving by slowly. I figured they were trying to find a particular address, and didn't pay much attention until they pulled into our driveway and waved me over to talk.

Thinking that they would ask "Do you know where so-and-so lives?" I went over to them. Instead of asking for directions, the old woman said "My husband and I built this house, and we lived in that house next door to you."

I was quite stunned. I wasn't sure what to say, but was rescued by my mom who came over to chat.

We only talked for a few minutes. The man (who was the woman's son) seemed eager to leave. Maybe he had something else he wanted to do. Before leaving, the woman did tell us that her son used to have a tree house in the oak in our front yard.

Afterwards, I realized that she didn't even tell us her name, and we didn't tell her ours.

What would you think if a stranger showed up and said that they'd built your house?

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

His old Mom was clearly taking a trip down memory lane, revisiting her old house and the one they built next door. I used to drive my Mom and Dad around, doing the same thing. At a certain age, you just long to see the venues of past memories again.

Judy said...

We had a lady (with her kids) show up in our driveway once saying she went to school in our house (it's a schoolhouse)...she asked a couple questions and they went on their way... I think they probably were reminiscing as they drove away...My husband likes to drive through neighborhoods in which he's lived...I've never lived anywhere else, so I can't do that...

Sarita Rucker said...

Now I'm wondering what it'll be like when I'm older and will be taking my own trips down memory lane...