Sunday, July 18, 2010

Good things

One of my mom's friends, I'll call her Elly, bought a small table at an antique shop. The only problem was that her car isn't big enough to hold it! So she talked to my mom (who has a Honda Element), and it wound up with my mom shipping the table today and Elly feeding us lunch.

Yes, I went along for the ride. The three of us drove over to the antique shop, and I fawned over everything in the place while others got the table out to the car. I even found an old violin! It was somewhat banged up, with only one string fully attached, but I was able to get some sound out of it. That was rather exciting, since I've never even touched a violin before.

When mom came looking for me the table had been loaded and she had some news for me: "It turns out that there isn't enough room in the car for both you and the table, so we're going to have to come back for you later. Here's some coffee money."

I gave her a hard time about it, but honestly I didn't mind. It meant that I was able to look around some -- I found the most adorable little bookstore! -- and I got a delicious java chip thingy at Starbucks. It cost slightly more than what I would usually want to pay, but since it was my mom's money...

After my mom finally retrieved me we had lunch at Elly's place. It was yummy, and I especially loved the pot stickers. I confess that I stole the last one, they were so good.

Fast forward to the evening, mom and I were going to Craft Warehouse. Unfortunately we found it was closed, so we went instead to Michaels. Just as we were getting there, we discovered that it was closing! So I suggested that we go hang out at a bookstore.

I hadn't meant to buy anything at the bookstore. Honest. Why buy a book when you can get it free at a library? (Don't give me any reasons because you might weaken my resolve to save money by using my library exclusively.) But when I left it was with a Tolkien book. *sigh* And I thought libraries were dangerous. At least when I pick up a book at a library it's free.

So that was my day. It was pretty good.

Oh, wait, I forgot! Mom and I stopped for ice cream on the way home from the bookstore. Yummy yummy yummy. :)

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like a perfect day!

said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael said...

That's an awesome story. I just hit an independent bookstore near me, too. Spent too much, but I feel like we have to support folks like that.