Saturday, July 17, 2010

"Gross!"

I was spinning yarn (or thick thread, I'm not sure which), and had a rather interesting conversation with a young man that I just had to share here.

YM: Is that your hair?

YT: No, I don't think that anyone spins with human hair.

YM: Oh.

YT: But I am saving up some of my cat's fur...

YM: Gross!

YT: Huh? Why? How is it any different from wool?

YM: Gross!

YT: Ok, what about cotton?

YM: Gross!

YT: *pause* What are you wearing?

YM: Gross!

Maybe it never occurred to him that his clothing has to be made from something, and that something has probably been spun. Perhaps not by hand, but still, it's the same as what I was doing.

And how is turning wool or cotton (or cat fur) into yarn and/or thread gross? Would he have preferred that I be using human hair?

Anyways, I just think that the conversation was funny.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've heard of people spinning with dog hair, so why not cat hair? You could sell your creations on your Etsy store!

蔡舜娟蔡舜娟 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarita Rucker said...

I'll probably use the cat fur yarn for something personal, but I've been considering selling stuff made from other hand spun yarn on Etsy.

Madam Lost said...

What was that book title, Knitting a Sweater with Fur from a Dog you Love instead of Some Strange Sheep?