Saturday, July 24, 2010

Haggis

Have you ever heard of haggis? It's traditional Scottish food, and totally not vegetarian. The last two Highland Game seasons I was vegetarian so of course I had no interest in trying it. Actually I thought that being vegetarian was good, because it gave me a good excuse to not consider eating it.

But now I'm eating meat again, and I'm trying to decide what to do about haggis. Should I...

1) Get even more into the spirit of being an honorary Scot for one day (because of course everyone is an honorary Scot at the Highland Games) by trying at least one bite?

...or...

2) Shun it because it seems too weird? After all, its main ingredients are the liver, heart, and lungs of a sheep -- the leftover parts after you've used the rest of the body for proper food and regular stuff.

I'm inclined to do number 2, but I'm not sure.

So what do you think? Should I bravely try haggis, or should I protect my taste buds?

5 comments:

Diandra said...

I think you should try it. There is nothing wrong with trying to use everything when an animal is killed. Besides, it might be an adventure.

When I go to Scotland I totally plan on eating haggis.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Go for it!! Ye nae can be a real Scot wi'out tryin' yer haggis.

~Haley~ said...

Since it's available, you mnight as well try it. I mean, hey, even one or two bites is trying it. =]

As for advice with selling stuff, it's all pretty new to me as well. My biggest thing is trying EVERYWHERE... I set up at a local flea market (not many people who I target shop there) and made about $200, so it was worth it. I'd say just google or Yahoo local search for events in your area, and even try craigslist! Around here, the weekend price for vending a flea market/craft bazaar is usually $20, and it's definitely worth it! If you have anything else to ask or whatever, email me, haleyrenaexx@yahoo.com =]

戴昀黃慧婷德 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarita Rucker said...

Diandra -- Using everything when an animal is killed is definitely a good thing. It's just that some of the ways the parts are used can sound strange to me. I do think I'll try it.

Debra -- Hmm, so do I want to be a real Scot, or not? ;)

Haley -- Thanks!