Sunday, August 15, 2010

I love ginger tea

Just giving a heads up -- in this post I'll be talking about some rather feminine problems. If anyone would prefer to skip this post, I'll understand.

A few months ago Magaly over at
Pagan Culture told about how she used to suffer from crippling menstrual cramps, but not anymore. Her secret? Ginger tea.

I virtually always have menstrual cramps with my periods, and since they can be quite nasty at times I decided to give ginger tea a try. I started drinking ginger tea daily (which may be more often than really necessary), and lo and behold! My next couple or so periods were cramp free. Is that awesome, or what?

Then, I guess due to forgetfulness, I stopped drinking the tea. The result is that today I am suffering from menstrual cramps, and am promising myself to fix ginger tea when I get home from my local library, which is where I'm writing this post.

In case anyone is curious, here's how I make the tea.

Ingredients:

*Approx 1/2 inch of ginger root, sliced into thin pieces
*Small handful of mint leaves (optional)

Instructions:

Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Place the ginger and any other herbs in the water. Turn the heat down, and simmer for 28 minutes. You can drink some immediately, and store the rest in the fridge.

You can experiment with adding other herbs to the tea, just like I like to add mint. One you might like to try is lemon thyme, which compliments the ginger nicely. But I prefer the mint. :)


Do you have any tricks of your own to deal with menstrual cramps? Or if you're a guy, do you know what the women in your lives do to ward off the cramps?

2 comments:

Judy said...

I use ginger tea to help stave off ovarian cancer...I just gave some to my daughter to try with her menstrual woes...I'm interested in how it will work for her...

Sarita Rucker said...

It worked wonders for me, but of course different things work for different people. I'd like to hear how it works for her.

It helped ovarian cancer? I'll have to bear that in mind.