Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A new favorite singer

I have a new favorite singer: Colin Grant-Adams. I discovered him this weekend because he was performing at the Highland Games I was attending. I think I may want to get a couple of his CDs (fortunately I think I can get them cheap second hand on Amazon.com!) but I also found him on YouTube, and I'd like to share a couple of his songs here.

The first one, The Lone Piper, is a true story: a bagpiper promised his best friend to play for him on his birthday, but then the friend went off to war and was killed. The piper kept his promise despite the fact that his friend was dead -- he went to the graveyard and played on the friend's birthday. In fact, he did this year after year.




Did you know that Scotland the Brave has lyrics to it? I did, but I'd never heard a singer perform the song until this weekend.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

He's great! Never heard of him before, so thanks for this post. I knew "Scotland the Brave" has lyrics but it's such a standard pipe band tune that you never get to hear them! When I watched the Calgary Stampede parade last month, there were about 4 or 5 pipe bands in it and I swear each one played "Scotland the Brave" as they went by.

Sarita Rucker said...

I think there's some rule that bagpipers have to learn to play "Scotland the Brave." That and "Amazing Grace." :)