Monday, September 27, 2010

Bleh

I went to my first fall term class this evening. It was an English class, by the way. :) During break I talked a little to the young woman sitting next to me. I found out that she's also an English major, and when I asked if she was new to Marylhurst University she said "This is my first term here, and this is my very first class."

I suddenly felt old.

There she was, I'm guessing right out of high school, and brand new to Marylhurst. I, on the other hand, am in my second year at the university, and after a year in the music therapy department switched to English. She was young and excited (or that's how she seemed, anyways), and made me feel old and jaded.

I'm only 21! She's maybe 18! I'm no more than 3 years older than her, maybe less! I'm too young to be feeling old!

The word that comes to mind is: bleh. I've never actually used that word before, so I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary to see if I was using properly. You can take a look there if you so wish and decide for yourself if my usage of the word is appropriate.

Bleh.

4 comments:

Willow Silverhorse said...

Don't worry, I feel you. The whole time I was at that University 8 hours from home I felt like the oldest person on the planet. Everyone there had just graduated high school and I was one of like 5 people that was even of legal drinking age. I ended up having to take a semester off because I've got to get my bearings, but believe me, I completely understand the BLEH feeling lol

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The first time I ever felt old was when a store clerk called me "Ma'am" for the first time ever. I looked behind me to see who he was talking to!

Madam Lost said...

My first time was in 2001. I was commuting to work via light rail and a young girl jumped up and offered me her seat. I was so shocked that all I could do was thank her and sit down.

Sarita Rucker said...

Willow -- Nice to know another youngster who's been made to feel old. :)

Debra -- Too funny.

Mom -- lol Hey, no one ever offered me their seat when I was meandering around with a cane! So seats are offered to little old ladies (sorry, just had to) who don't need the seats, but not to people with canes who...well...in my case I didn't need to sit...but...