Friday, September 17, 2010

Grandma

Grandma was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. I don't mean to belittle it, but I figured with proper care it wouldn't be too bad. Also, the state of Texas stepped in to handle things. So she may not be happy about no longer having control of her life, but we know that she'll receive proper care. And she's settling into a nursing home now.

Again, not to belittle Parkinson's disease (I know it can get really bad in some cases, and is a progressive disease), but I figured that given time, grandma would regain strength and do fairly well.

Maybe I was being overly hopeful. Optimistic. Naive.

Mom, on the other hand, said from the beginning that it sounded like grandma might have cancer because of: grandma's weight loss (which was pretty major), and her weakness. I thought that mom was being unnecessarily grim.

But no. We got word this evening that grandma probably has cancer.

More tests need to be done. And if she has cancer, we don't know yet what stage it would be.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not cancer, but I'm beginning to feel pessimistic.

...she's down in Texas and we're here in Oregon. This sort of doesn't feel real.

No comments: