Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Preacher

There's a guy I see on the streets downtown who I have decided to name The Preacher. The Preacher feels that it is his duty to make sure that everyone knows about original sin, eternal damnation, and all that other fun stuff.

Usually I try to avoid The Preacher, but that can be a little hard at times since he likes to preach at one of my train stops, and if it's raining we usually both head for cover...which puts me close enough to hear him. Not that he bothers me personally, because he picks a spot and then announces the Good News to everyone from his chosen place, rather than talking to people individually.

Today my curiosity got the better of me, so instead of heading for the opposite side of the train station I stood near enough to The Preacher that I could see what kind of responses he got from people.

I have seen how people respond to The Preacher before today, of course. Most people ignore him, or at least pretend to ignore him, like I do. But what I never realized before today is that the few who do respond to him do so only to tell him that he's deluded, that they're going to hell already, or to otherwise argue with him. I have never seen anyone show support for what he's preaching.

In a way I have to admire The Preacher. He's doing what he thinks is right, even though he is ridiculed for it.

At the same time I think that what he's doing is pointless. I doubt that he'll convert anyone by preaching on a street corner.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, any proselytizer takes a lot of abuse. Any I've known regard it as a badge of honour to suffer abuse like Jesus did. It confirms to them that they are special, chosen people bound for heaven.

Sarita Rucker said...

I didn't know that about proselytizers. Then again, I don't really see many around here, let alone chat with them.