Friday, September 3, 2010

What to say?

Recently there was a hit-and-run fatality that's been in the local news. Cassidy Ringwald was walking with his older sister when he was struck by a car and sent flying perhaps 15 feet. People at the scene performed CPR before he was taken to a hospital, where he died.

I know his mother. Not very well, and in fact when I first saw the story in the news I had no idea that Cassidy was her son. But I do know her.

The private funereal, just for his friends and family, was yesterday. Tall One was asked to play Amazing Grace on the bagpipes, so even though he didn't know Cassidy himself he was at the funeral.

(Random thought I keep having: maybe I should get Tall One a t-shirt that says Bagpipes, putting the "fun" into funerals. He's playing at another funeral tomorrow...)

I never knew Cassidy, and I barely know his mom. But I keep thinking about him, especially as I walk in my neighborhood. It's not that I'm afraid of getting hit by a car, but because realizing that possibility reminds me of just how fragile life is.

Then I also think about how funny it is that sometimes you never know people until after their death. You can read his obituary here. It seems like he was a great guy.

...I guess there isn't really any overarching point to this post, other than to share my random thoughts about his death. I know I haven't expressed sorrow and sympathy for his family, but it's there. I just don't know how to express it.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Very sad for all concerned. And it's true that pipers are always in big demand at funerals. But also at weddings to pipe the bride and groom from the church. Your brother will probably play a lot of both gigs over the course of his piping career.