Friday, October 15, 2010

Music majors vs. English majors

Last year I was a music major. This year I'm an English major. And I'm noticing a difference.

This year I'm more likely to run into classmates when I'm eating lunch on campus, when I'm in the campus library, or when I'm otherwise hanging out on campus. And it's not just that I run into them, it's that we stop and chat. It's not that the music majors were cold or that we never chatted, but it happens way more frequently now. I've been wondering why the difference is there, and I can only come up with three possible reasons.

1) It could be that I've changed somehow almost overnight, and that because of this change classmates are suddenly coming up to me to chat. However, I'm pretty darn sure that this isn't it.

2) Maybe it's because music majors have a building that's all their own, whereas English majors don't. Us English majors have to share buildings with people of other majors, so we're more spread out over the campus. My theory is that being spread out is somehow connected to the difference.

3) Mom suggested that it could be a difference between music majors and English majors. I don't think that this is the case, but I can't rule it out.

I'm thinking that possibility #2 is the real reason, but I can't prove it. And who knows, there could be more than one thing going on that causes this difference...maybe even something that I haven't thought of.

Wise and Worldly Readers (yes I'm stealing that line from another blogger), have you ever changed majors and then noticed that the dynamics at your school suddenly changed?

2 comments:

Willow Silverhorse said...

I've changed schools and noticed a difference in people, but never when I changed majors. The first college I went to was when I changed my majors the most and I was pretty introverted there so I wouldn't have seen a difference even if it had smacked me in my face. I did change majors at the last school I was at but didn't notice any difference in the people but that was only because I had friends all over campus and we all had big time differing majors lol

WarriorPrincessDanu said...

I've seen similar things with music majors at my school. Though I'm not a music major, those I do know I don't see very often. And I get the impression that they don't see each other very often.

Also, I think it could be a bit of number 1. I doubt you had any drastic changes over night. But I have noticed that during my first two years of college I gradually became more social, especially in those "run into each other" situations. You may have had something similar happen.