Monday, October 25, 2010

Who do I write for?

In my English class my professor brought up a point to consider when you read something: Who is the writer writing to? Who is the intended audience?

So that got me to wondering, who is my audience?

I already have some idea, and I know I have (something of a) diverse audience.

* Pagans, who understand "Pagan Speak"
* Non-Pagans, who do not know "Pagan Speak" -- that is, words like Samhain, Sabbat, Beltane...

When I write about Paganism I like to explain what I'm talking about so that the non-Pagans can follow, but without boring my Pagan readers with explanations about details they already know. It can be an interesting balance to maintain.

Some more of my audience...

* College students
* College graduates
* At least one professor

These are people who can probably relate to the school stuff I'm talking about. And yet, I also have...

* People who have never been to college, and who don't plan to go

However, since I talk about a lot of non-school stuff, I think I can keep these people engaged.

Oh yes, and let's not forget...

* My mom

Cannot forget my mom.

Here's an idea: Why don't you write just a little about yourself in the comments? Even just a little "Hullo! I'm not a college student or a Pagan. I don't know why I read your blog, but whatever. I guess you entertain me." Or maybe, "Hullo sweetie, this is your mother. I'm reading your blog to keep an eye on you."

I'd love to hear from you. :)

6 comments:

Aelwyn said...

Hello, I'm a Pagan, and I read your blog because it's awesome. No, seriously. I love your blog. :)

I wish there was blogging back in the day when I was in college and Pagan. I think it would have really brought light into my life and given me strength.

Sarita Rucker said...

I know that blogging is the main way that I connect with other Pagans right now. I do know other Pagans (and people who don't call themselves Pagan but seem Pagan to me) "in real life," but I would probably be much more isolated spiritually-wise if it weren't for the internet.

Thank you for reading, and for commenting, Aelwyn. :)

Jon said...

I'm a Pagan college student! I'm also gay and live in Ohio.
I usually try and steer clear of too many Pagan words, but if I have/want to use them I'll give a little definition of them. For instance, if I were talking about my latest sabbat I'd say something along the lines of, "So I just celebrated the sabbat (big Pagan festivals that divide up the year)." Or something like that.
I, too, love your blog!

~Haley~ said...

I'm not Pagan, but I have read lots of information on Paganism, etc. I find your blog interesting and you seem like a really great person! I was a college student when I started following you, but I graduated now. :) I'm from Ohio & 23. :)

PS -- My etsy shop --> http://www.etsy.com/shop/knottycraftkreations

Madam Lost said...

Hi Sweetie - I'm your mom and I'm reading this blog to be a part of your life when life has us both running in opposite directions. :-)

Sarita Rucker said...

Jon -- That sounds like a good way to explain a Sabbat. :)

Haley -- The stuff at your shop looks neat! I like. :)

Mom -- Hullo!