Thursday, November 18, 2010

Enhanced pat downs

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." -- Benjamin Franklin

Have you heard about what's going on at the airports now? They have a new "enhanced pat down" which includes feeling the groin and women's breasts. I've read a few first hand accounts, and it's been described as sexual assault.

People are generally spared this enhanced pat down unless they decide to opt out of the body scan that looks under your clothing. However, if you get dinged by a security device twice then an enhanced pat down is required, and it is my understanding that people are randomly chosen for the enhanced pat down.

Think about it. What gives them the right to feel you up and grope you? If they weren't the TSA, they would be arrested for sexual assault.

I've seen outrage over this in the blogging community, and I'm happy to have found a video of Ron Paul also expressing disgust with the TSA. I don't agree with everything he says, but I appreciate that he's speaking out and trying to do something about it.



Some people approve of the enhanced pat down, saying that it makes us safer. However, I would like to point out that there comes a point when the terrorists have won.

There comes a point when we are so afraid that we work ourselves into a corner and we can barely move. At that point the terrorists have won. They have also won when people are sexually assaulted in the name of being protected from terrorism.

Let's have freedom again. Freedom from being molested by those who say that they are only trying to protect us.

Now, for a return to sanity and because I think something is needed to make me smile after writing all this, I would like to share the following video.




(PS. What joy. I can't work on homework but I can write this. I guess this is easier to write...?)

No comments: