Saturday, December 11, 2010

"Christyule"

My family is an interfaith one. My brother and I were raised Christian, but are now Pagan. My mom is sort of Pagany (that is now a word. because I say so), and my dad is still definitely Christian.

But, we celebrate each other's holidays.

On the night of the 21st my mom, brother and I will keep a fire going throughout the night. Well, ok, it'll technically be mostly Tall One keeping the fire going, since he's just a natural with it...and even though dad won't stay up overnight, he'll probably spend a little bit of time with us by the fire.

On the 25th, we'll all open Christmas presents. We'll all sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and eat his birthday cake. (Even though he was probably born in the spring.) We'll also watch A Muppet's Christmas Carol if not on Christmas then around that time.

In common to both celebrations is the tree. I call it a Christyule tree, since it's for both Christmas and Yule. Hey, why not? Simply calling it "the holiday tree" feels a little too politically correct for a tree in someone's own home, and I can't call it a "Yule tree" without excluding Christmas and vice versa. Hence, Christyule. :) It's a word I made up a year or so ago.

I like being part of an interfaith family. It means double the fun in the winter, since I get to celebrate two holidays! And eat a birthday cake that I don't have to share with the birthday boy. Yum.

Last, I would like to leave you with the following song from A Muppet's Christmas Carol. I think that the line "Wherever you find love it feels like Christmas" could be traded for "Wherever you find love it feels like Yule-time" if you wanted. :)


3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Christyule" is a great word! I like "pagany" too.

Sarita Rucker said...

:)

~Haley~ said...

In response to your comment on my last post about my cousin... That was really the whole story. He wanted a piercing, told her he was going to get it done, she said if he did he would be kicked out. He kinda called her bluff (but he is an adult, so it's his choice) and she kicked him out. I figured that would have been the end of it, but she called him later that night and told him he was disowned and she doesn't want to see him ever again. I think maybe she just felt he was choosing a piercing over her, but still. I agree with you, I don't understand HOW piercings can still be viewed that way. I've had 5 different piercings in my face and have never been called a freak or anything like that, but now I'm wondering if my aunt thought of me that way the whole time, cuz even though most of them are gone, I still have 2 rings in my lip. Hmm. Oh well.

xoxo have a good day!