Sunday, December 19, 2010

Peace rally

November 26th, 2010

A would-be terrorist was arrested for attempting to detonate a car bomb at an annual Christmas tree lighting. The annual tree lighting was at Pioneer Courthouse Square, and many people were in attendance.

Two days later

A fire was set at a mosque that the would-be terrorist sometimes attended. The fire was ruled arson, and the culprit has still not been found. Fortunately only one office in the mosque was burned. But that's still unacceptable.

December 19th, 2010 -- Today

There was a rally at Pioneer Courthouse Square. I keep calling it different things: peace rally, non-violence rally...in any case, the point of the rally is to make clear that 1) Terrorism is not ok, 2) Retaliation against Muslims who are not involved in terrorism is really not ok, 3) Islam is a religion of peace, and it does not condone terrorism.

Religious leaders of Islam, Christianity (I think), and Judaism spoke at the rally.

I attended, and took photos. Here they are.
















The rally ended with a song. Please forgive the quality -- I only brought my regular camera because I didn't expect that I would want to record anything!


EDIT: I'd like to add that I think violence is necessary in some cases, unfortunately. But not here.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good for you for adding your voice and presence to a good cause!

~Haley~ said...

I agree with Debra! I wish more people saw the PEACE in things...

Sarita Rucker said...

I even wore my COEXIST t-shirt! Although no one saw it, since it was so cold I wouldn't take my heavy coat off... oh well. :)