Friday, December 31, 2010

This time four years ago

I've been thinking about where I was four years ago -- at the end of December in 2006, when I was 17 years old. I was also thinking about it this time last year, and although I almost blogged about it, I didn't.

For the past four years I have been a college student. This has defined me, to the point that when I started this blog there was no question that I would title it A College Girl's Days. Notice, I've been a college student for four years, and the time I think about is four years ago.

My first college experience was at Portland Community College, in winter of 2007, and it was this new upcoming experience that was on my mind at the end of December in 2006. I had been homeschooled since third grade, and even though I had taken dance classes and had had learning experiences with other homeschoolers this was to be my first time in regular classroom in...nine years.

Since this was to be my first term I wanted to take fun classes. I chose Fundamentals of Music and an English class: Mythology and Folklore. (I aced both of those classes, FYI.) I also decided to take one required class so I chose to take writing, which I thought shouldn't be too bad of a class. (I didn't quite ace that one, but I did fairly well in it, and learned a lot.) It was going to be a fantastic term.

I couldn't wait for my first class.

On the other hand, I could wait, because I was really nervous.

Time marched forward, taking me ever closer to my first college class, whether I was ready or not.

That's where I was four years ago to the day.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And look at you now -- a confident and successful college student! Best wishes for 2011, Sarita!