Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The "war" on Christmas

Some people want to put Christ back into Christmas. And I'm fine with that. Really. After all, Christmas really is celebrating the birth of Jesus, once you get past all the consumerism. It's a really special day.

However, it's not the only special day in winter. And Christians do not have a monopoly on winter, whatever some people may think.

There are other religious and non-religious holidays during this time of year. Hannukkah. Yule. Boxing Day. Kwanzaa. The secular new year. Christmas is just one more. True, it's the big one, but I think I've made my point that it's not the only one.

Some people think that if other religions are acknowledged that Christianity will be marginalized. (In fact, some people made a big fuss about BBC covering the Pagan celebration of Samhain earlier this year, saying that they were marginalizing Christianity by doing so. You can read about it here.) But here's the thing -- Christianity is one of the biggest world religions. I don't think it's in any danger of falling by the wayside anytime soon.

Besides, Jesus taught tolerance and love. I think it's safe to say that he isn't offended by the all inclusive "Happy Holidays". And trying to shove Christmas down the throats of non-Christians is definitely not tolerant or loving. In fact, I would say that it alienates people, something which I think those who talk about there being a war on Christmas haven't figured out yet.

"Happy Holidays" really isn't a war on Christmas. It's just acknowledging that there are other paths as well.

Happy Holidays, everyone. :)

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy Holidays to you too, Sarita! And Goddess bless us, every one!

Waeben said...

Hear, hear.

I think it's hilarious that Christians think they have a monopoly on the winter holidays. They have only their ignorance to blame. People have been celebrating with shows of lights, gift-giving, ritual fires, and decorations of greenery since before Jesus supposedly lived.

Sarita Rucker said...

Not all Christians think they have a monopoly. But yeah, some do. And they're annoying with it.

~Haley~ said...

I just don't understand the people in the world (of all religions/colors/beliefs) that think THEIR beliefs, their holidays, their celebrations are the ONLY important ones. I'm not religious in any way, and I am open to accepting all others beliefs and ways of life. I think the differences are what makes life beautiful. If we were ALL Christians, ALL Pagans, ALL believed in Greek Gods, etc, the world would be SUCH a boring place! I do celebrate Christmas, because much of my family was raised Christian, but it is more about family time, the gifts are an added bonus (only for the kids); I just wish the holidays could pass by without the media turning it into a "war" or broadcasting about how one group is trying to bring another down. It's supposed to be a happy time of year, but instead it has to turn into just another reason for people to disagree, ya know?! Ahhh longest comment everrrr!

xoxo

Michael said...

With you 110%. I was raised Christian, and still consider myself to be one, but fully agree with you- your holiday is your business, my holiday is mine.

Isn't it funny how people who are so adamant about shoving their Christianity in your face are so often the same ones who talk about feeding and clothing the poor, something the Jesus in the Gospels openly and repeatedly practiced and praised, as "wasteful government spending" that should be eliminated.