Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Yes I Can!

Once upon a time, there was a girl who wanted to spin her own yarn. She saw someone doing it at a Girl Scout camp, and thought that turning fluffy white(-ish) wool into yarn was the most amazing thing in the world.

But she thought to herself, "This is too out there for me. How would I ever be able to get ahold of a spinning wheel or roving [not that she knew the word roving then], let alone learn how to spin the roving into yarn? It's just too fantastic." And so she gave up the idea of ever being able to spin yarn.

Fast forward some number of years, a couple of happy chance meetings with spinners, and a little research. That girl is now a young woman (me) who has her own drop spindle and spinning wheel, and she knows how to use them!

It's true that I'm not the most skilled spinner, but I just need more practice. And maybe I'll eventually find a local group of spinners who I can get together with and learn from.

I guess that the moral of the story is that you shouldn't consider a skill unattainable just because it is so "out there", isn't main-stream, and seems too fantastical.

And speaking of spinning yarn...

My mom knits, and she would love to get ahold of yarn that I've spun. So for Christmas I've told her to pick out roving (which is wool/cotton/whatever that's ready to be spun) that she likes, and that I'll spin it for her. To tell the truth, this gift to her is also sort of a gift to myself, because it means that I get to play with my spinning wheel. lol I guess part of me is still a little kid!


Now I just need to figure out how to spin straw into gold. ;)

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

If you ever do learn the straw-into-gold skill, I've got a few bales you could practice on!

Sarita Rucker said...

If I ever figure out how to spin straw into gold, I'll let you know.