Thursday, January 13, 2011

An Alleged Coyote

Our neighborhood has had a mysterious guest -- or new resident -- the past few days. It's probably a coyote.

No one in my family has actually seen this alleged coyote (yes, I am affectionately stealing from Hank the Cowdog), but we have heard it. It woke us up a couple days ago, and again this morning. I also heard it right outside outside, and I mean right outside, our house last night. It was so close that I almost expected to see it on our doorstep when I looked outside.

Only thing is, though, that what we're hearing from this coyote isn't exactly what I'm finding on YouTube when I search for coyotes. Then again, I have found that coyotes make a WIDE variety of sounds, and have been told that they're good at imitating. This one sounds like it's trying, and woefully failing, to mimic a cat.

Then today we found a paw print. It's not a perfect print, but it's the best we've got. And it does match up with the coyote paw prints I found online.




The paw print was within feet of our house, by the way. Who knows, perhaps the alleged coyote was drooling over one of our cats sitting in my bedroom window.

Maybe we'll eventually catch a sight of our new elusive neighbor. Maybe I'll even be lucky enough to get a photo. More likely, though, I'll be too busy staring in awe to grab my camera.

Have you ever had strange encounters with wildlife in our neighborhood that left you trying to figure out what the animal was?

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope your cats are strictly indoor cats. Coyotes regard them as a delicacy. Also small dogs. We have lots of coyotes in our river valley that runs through the city and people often lose pets to them.

Sarita Rucker said...

Oh yes, our cats are definitely indoor kitties. So no worries there. :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

Ditto to the cat thing, or small dogs. A coyote got a hold of my ex's calico and it wasn't pretty.

Your pictures are very good if you ask me.

Sarita Rucker said...

Thank you. :) I consider myself an amateur photographer.