Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Credit cards

Dear Credit Card Companies:

I have absolutely zero interest in credit cards for the following reasons.

First, I am a college student with little excess money. True, I have a couple hundred in my savings account, but it is staying there for a rainy day.

Second, what money I do have comes from my work study job that I got through financial aid. And because I am only taking 6 credits in college I am only allowed to work 4 hours a week. Yep, that's right, 4 hours a week. That wouldn't give me very much money to pay back credit card bills with, now, would it?

Third, when I do manage to find a second job, I will likely still deem a credit card as worthless to me because my debit card is all I need and want. And if I do happen to change my mind, rest assured that you'll hear from me.

So why don't you save some trees by removing me from your mailing lists?

Sincerely,

An Exasperated College Kid

ps. How did you get my info anyways?

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You're very wise not to fall prey to the siren song of credit cards, Sarita! If only more people thought like you!

Judy said...

They will never give up on you...even if you had two or three of their cards, they would still try to get you to take more...don't give in...be strong!!!

Magaly Guerrero said...

I could start a paper recycling business with the amount of garbage I get from credit card companies. You would think they would stop after you haven't answered to the first zillion offers, but not, like Judy said, "they will never give up."

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hey Sarita, I just saw a reference on another blog to another movie about selkies -- it's called Ondine and has Colin Farrell in it. The trailer looks good and is on YouTube.

~Haley~ said...

I have a thought that credit card companies somehow target people in college. When I first started school, our school was promoting a student credit card, with $200 limit. I thought that was a good idea.... Til about 3 months in, they started holding my payment til AFTER the due date, then miraculously, after the late fees were added, they'd cash that check, then add the late fees from that month to my next statement. It got pretty bad, because the late fees were NUTS! I had to fight them for months to just cancel my card, I wouldn't be using it, but they'd send me late fees on top of the late fees, because they would hold my payment! Imagine how shocked I was in 2010, when 3 years after the fact, I received a check from over $200 from them, because they were being investigated and my accusations proved true.

Sarita Rucker said...

Wow. I didn't expect so many comments!

Debra -- Thank you. :)

Judy -- Yeah, I know they won't give up. But I can hope!

Magaly -- It sounds like you get more spam from the credit card companies than me. I just get something once or twice a month.

Debra (again) -- I just looked the trailer up on YouTube. It looks neat. Thanks for sharing!

Haley -- And that's exactly why I like to keep my life as simple as possible when it comes to paper work and plastic cards. I don't want something crazy like that to happen to me.