Friday, January 28, 2011

Imbolc

Imbolc is coming up soon!

For those of you who don't know Pagan Speak, Imbolc is February 1st. It's a Pagan holiday, and I think (but don't quote me on this) that it's the root of Groundhog Day.

Mrs. B., over at Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom, shared a list of activities for Imbolc. I thought it was pretty neat, and decided to share my plans for that day.

* Have something nice for dinner.

* Mrs. B. suggests lighting "as many lights, lamps and candles as you can, to inspire the sun to shine and spring to come." I think I like this idea. :)

* I like Mrs. B.'s suggestion of leaving buttered bread out for traveling faeries. It wouldn't be the first time I've left offerings for the fey. Note: Food should not be eaten by humans after it has been offered.

* I think I'll go looking for signs of spring.

* I've heard of leaving out strips of cloth the night before so that they'll be blessed by Brighid. Once blessed by Brighid, they may be used for healing and protection. Mrs. B. also suggests this and I think I'll finally do it.

* I plan to do some sort of smudging to cleanse the home.

* I'm considering making a Brighid's cross, but I don't know if I will. It looks complicated!

Do you have plans for Imbolc?

2 comments:

Madam Lost said...

Smudging with a liquid?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've made a Brigid's Cross (or Star) before, but not with reeds or rushes -- with fuzzy pipecleaners! It's not as hard as it looks -- check YouTube for tutorials, I've seen some there.