Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Our relation to the environment

I'm taking an environmental class this term, and it occurred to me that I haven't written a post about where I think humans are in relation to nature.

I've written something only to delete it twice now. Gosh, how to explain...?

Basically, I don't think we're separate from nature. We are part of nature, and nature is part of us. My professor shared a wonderful quite during class which I'll try to paraphrase here:

To use the word "landscape" sets us apart from it. It implies something separate. In fact, you are part of the landscape, just as much as the boulder you stand on to look at the landscape.

We aren't separate from nature, whatever some may think. We aren't outsiders, but part of the picture. Just like the boulder -- or grass, dirt, sand, etc. -- that we're standing on.

I think my point is well made by the fabulous feline in the following video.



They went into her territory intending to be observers, outsiders. She taught them that they're part of the landscape themselves, and part of nature.

I've seen this cat in other videos, by the way, and she does get into the habit of using the cars as lookout spots.

ps. I'm tagging this post as Pagan because my practices are nature based, and everything I say here is based on my beliefs.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I guess the cheetah is telling him and his jeep to piss off!

Sarita Rucker said...

lol I guess that's one way of interpreting it. :]