Friday, February 18, 2011

Yarn diary: continued

Because I am so enthusiastic, I am sharing three more pages from my yarn diary. This is yarn that I've spun myself.


These are random yarns that I have spun in the past and don't really have any info on. Hence the title "Random, unknown." In two cases I did have small samples of the roving I spun yarn from.

Everything on the left side of the page was spun with a Louet drop spindle, and the one yarn sample on the right was spun on my Ashford Kiwi spinning wheel.



The pages immediately above and below are examples of the options a person has when they sit down to spin yarn. They are both 50/50 Wool/Soysilk from the same place. They're probably from different dye lots, but the roving they came as was otherwise identical. (Roving is the wool/cotton/other that is ready to be spun into yarn.)

I used a Louet drop spindle for the above sample, and plied it. The plying is two strands wrapped around each other.

Below I (almost certainly) used my Ashford Kiwi spinning wheel, and I did not ply it.

As you can see, the end results are very different even though what I started with was the same.


No comments: