Thursday, February 17, 2011

Yarn diary: excerpt

I read one book about spinning yarn that recommended keeping a yarn diary. In a yarn diary a person may keep samples of what they have spun along with details about the process. This keeps a record of what a person has spun and can help generate ideas for future projects.

I thought this was a great idea, so I put together a yarn diary a month or so ago. In my enthusiasm I decided to share three pages of my yarn diary here.

Since the yarn is more clear than the writing in the scans I'll also type up some of what is written in each page.

Sheep breed unknown

I bought this roving at the Portland Highland Games.

I'm pretty sure that I finished this up by soaking in hot water for 15 minutes.

Spinning wheel: Ashford Kiwi



Wool

Spinning wheel: Ashford Kiwi

Finished by soaking in hot water for 15-16 minutes with this [soak: Modern Care for Fine Fibers: scentless for your sensitive side] in the water.

Wool

100% Nylon

Finished by soaking in hot water for approx. 15 minutes

Spinning wheel: Ashford Kiwi

***

"Finishing" yarn by putting it in hot water helps to make it behave itself. Compare the "unfinished" vs "finished" to see what I mean.

I might share more pages from my yarn diary in future posts.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Can something still be called "wool" if it's "100% nylon"? I'm confused now!

Sarita Rucker said...

Sorry, I was mixing two different materials there. One was 100% wool and the other (which is white so it's hard to see against a white background!) was 100% nylon. So the end result was a mixture of wool and nylon.

Sarita Rucker said...

Even though it's hard to see the nylon you can see the staple that's holding a small sample of the nylon in place.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh yes, I see it now!