Sunday, March 20, 2011

Checking in

Hullo!

I'm having fun visiting with my friend. First, I've got to say that when we visited the library we discovered they were having a book sale. I got two books and two CDs for a total of $3. Beat that price! :D

Yesterday we went to an SCA event, which was a first for me. I went in costume, about half of which was mine, about half of which was borrowed from my friend.

It was amazing. I don't even know how to describe it.

I want to do it again.

This event was a war, a very short war. Apparently they usually go on for a few days, but this one lasted only a few hours.

And I can proudly say that I drew blood at my very first SCA war!! :D (Ok, so I drew my own blood with a sewing needle, accidentally...but let's ignore that tiny detail, shall we?)

We plan to watch Tangled later today, and we have other fun plans. :)

Now, about grandma...

Of course I haven't seen her since she arrived in Portland (less than two hours) after I left, but I've been getting updates on her from mom. Grandma seems to be doing well.

Now about the Highland Games...and grandma...

For the past several years my brother, Tall One, has competed at the Highland Games both as a solo bagpiper and in a band. Whenever possible, that is, most of the time, I have tagged along. But I don't think that's going to happen this year.

If all three of us -- mom, Tall One, and me -- were to leave, it would leave only dad to take care of grandma. It occurred to me that that would mean one disabled person taking care of another disabled person, and I wasn't so sure that that would be a good idea. So I e-mailed mom, and expressed my concern, suggesting that I should stay home. She told me that she had been planning to ask me to stay home to care for grandma.

So I'll be missing out on the Highland Games, unless we can get grandma on Medicaid before them and therefore in a nursing home. But I'm not holding my breath. Who knows how long it'll take to get her on Medicaid.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A war that lasts only a few hours is the best kind! Glad you enjoyed SCA! Too bad about the Highland Games but there will be many more in your future, I'm sure. And spending the weekend with your Grandma will really give you a chance to get to know each other!

Madam Lost said...

Angel - if I didn't know I could count on you for help with Grandma, I'd be panicking about now. love, mom

Magaly Guerrero said...

Continue having a blast! My little brother just got me Tangled. I can't wait to have a hour or two to watch it.