Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquakes

I woke up to the news about Japan's earthquake today. If you've somehow missed the news you can click here to read about it and/or watch the following video.



I've heard all about tsunamis before, but I don't think I properly understood how scary they are until I saw this video. Then again, maybe I still don't really understand it, and won't unless I see one in person. I hope that never happens.

I'm praying for those in Japan, and other places affected by the earthquake and/or tsunami.

And of course, when I read about the destruction, this is what I thought: that could have been Portland, minus the tsunami since we're so far inland. The fact is that Portland is an earthquake zone, and we get a big one every five hundred years or so. And there's no telling when the next one will be. After this occurred to me I have to think about it whenever I think about Japan.

In fact, there is a fault (two faults, actually) that lie off of the Oregon coast. It's part of the ring of fire, which of course Japan is on as well. So not only could the earthquake happen to Portland, but the earthquake -- complete with tsunami -- could happen to the Oregon coast. As a matter of fact, I think it's safe to say that it will happen. We just don't know when. Someone else was thinking along the same lines and wrote a news piece about that. You can read it here.

I guess I'm writing about this, and writing about my home when the earthquake was in Japan, to try to internalize this. After all, it could -- will -- happen to Oregon someday. To the Northwest, in fact.

Again, my prayers for those in Japan, and everyone affected by the earthquake/tsunami duo.

1 comment:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Thanks get worse and worse, don't they? And like you said, the most difficult time is that it will touch everyone, eventually.

Japan is in my prayers too.