Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Douglas

Here is my first offering for the blog part Witches in Fiction. It's one I wrote recently and it's based on a dream I had.

If you want to find more witchy stories then check out Magaly's blog Pagan Culture. :)

Douglas

“You must heal me.” Douglas looked up at Bludrex, wondering how such a thing was possible. Yet it must be done if Douglas were to stay alive. And the job was not made any easier by the fact that no one was allowed to touch Bludrex.

“Please let me consult with a colleague. I may have more success with her help.”

“Very well. But you must return with a cure by noon tomorrow.”

~~~

When Douglas arrived at Willow’s cottage that evening he entered without knocking as was his custom. He found her in the kitchen brewing some sort of potion. Or maybe it was tea. It was sometimes difficult to tell the difference. Despondent, he sat at the old table without a word. When Willow finished adding the latest ingredients to her brew she placed some food in front of him, but he could not bring himself to eat. They sat in silence as she waited for him to tell her what was wrong.

“I will die at noon tomorrow.” He had to drag the words out.

Willow was silent for a while. Finally she asked, “Why?”

Douglas told her that he must heal Bludrex or be killed, and went on to describe the symptoms: the sleeplessness, the weight loss, the unending appetite, and the horror of it all. Once he finished she said nothing, but when he looked at her he realized that she was deep in thought and he began to hope. He had believed that even Willow would be unable to cure Bludrex, but now wondered if he had underestimated her skills.

“I believe there may be a cure,” she said slowly. “My present potion must be discarded, but no matter. There is also a song you must learn, and a potion that Bludrex must drink. As he drinks it you will sing, and I will spin yarn. I will make some cloth from the yarn, which we will use to heal him.”

“How can I help by singing? I am no witch.”

“You do not need to be a witch to sing the song.”

“When will we do this?”

“Tomorrow. We will go to Bludrex at noon and tell him what must be done.” It did not occur to Willow to mention that she would take some hairs from Bludrex’s head, just as it did not occur to Douglas to warn her not to touch Bludrex.

“You will come with me?” Douglas was surprised.

“I must.”

Willow stood and took her brew off the fire. As it cooled she began to chop and measure various herbs. Douglas felt tears sting his eyes as he watched her. He stood and went to her, putting his arms around her waist from behind and resting his cheek on top of her head. “I love you so much.”

“I know.” She whispered. “I love you too.”

~~~

At noon the next day Willow explained to Bludrex what she had told Douglas the day before. Bludrex obviously did not approve of Willow, but because he did not complain they went ahead with the plan. Things seemed to go well, and that evening Bludrex drank the brew as Douglas sang. Douglas’ eyes were closed as he focused on remembering the song Willow had taught him the night before, and so he did not see her approach Bludrex to take hair from his head. Willow knew as she took the hair that Bludrex was displeased, but she could not have guessed the ramifications of what she did.

When all was done and Willow had finished her spinning, there was silence. Finally Bludrex spoke. “You did not tell me that you would take a hair from my head.” Douglas was horrified.

“Please.” It was a whisper. “Please do not kill her…”

Willow stood very still, suddenly aware that something terrible was about to happen.

Bludrex laughed and said, “Very well, I will spare her miserable life.” He began to sing.

Willow trembled and fell to her knees, gasping. Douglas, disregarding his own safety, rushed to her and held her. She grasped his arms, but by the end of the song he was pulling away from her. When she looked up she saw that he was looking at her distastefully. “Who are you, and why won’t you let me go?”

She released him, shocked. Bludrex curtly dismissed Douglas, who he left the room quickly, with one final look of disgust at Willow.

“I have spared your life.” Bludrex told her “The sad fact is that you are useful, and I prefer to keep useful people alive. Still, you must be punished. Your foolish lover does not remember you, and will never remember you. Now, you will make this yarn into something for me to wear?”

“Yes.” She whispered it. “I will bring it to you soon.”

Willow left without looking back. That night, she burned the yarn and the spindle it had been spun on.

7 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Magaly Guerrero said...

Okay, second try... why can't people touch Bludrex? Please tell me Willow will hex his behind! I don't know, but I don't see Willow as the type of witch who'll just sit there and take it. I guess I need to learn more about her, her witchy power, and her relationships. Tell me! Tell me! Tell me!

Sarita Rucker said...

lol Does that mean I should write more stories about her?

And I think that Bludrex doesn't want people to touch him because he doesn't want people to touch him. I don't know why. Maybe he had a traumatic childhood.

Sarita Rucker said...

FYI I did post a short story on facebook last night about how Douglas and Willow met. I'll post it on my blog in a couple days. (Gotta spread out the few witchy posts I do so that they sort of last throughout the blog party!)

Deborah said...

Oh I can't wait to read more! Bludrex sounds like a meany!

Blessings...Deborah

Sarita Rucker said...

I have at least one more story about these two lovers coming. No plans for Bludrex yet, though.

Sunshineshelle said...

Bludrex really sucks (maybe because love is a power he can never have) & has OCD, what's this about no one touching him... I'm thinking maybe he 'liked' Willow pulling a hair from his head (in a S&M sort of way) so wants Willow for more than her magic & Douglas would get in the way if he still loved her... LOL, you have wet my appetite with this trio... love it!!!!
PS If you have time please drop in on my blog for a visit... I'll have a glass of something ready for you ;)
http://sunshineshelles.blogspot.com/