Friday, April 15, 2011

Friendship

Friendship

Willow took a deep breath and descended to the edge of the stream where she intended to hold a night long vigil.

In truth, she knew that she was not supposed to do this. Normally only witches with several years experience more than her would hold this vigil: there was a certain truth sought at this stream, and it was one that a person of her age was not generally considered quite ready for. Willow was not entirely certain what this truth might be, but she was certain that she was ready for it and was willing to risk her teacher’s disapproval.

Part of her whispered that she was an overeager student trying to run before she could walk, but she ignored that sensible voice.

~~~

Hours later her teeth were chattering, and Willow was thoroughly miserable. The only truth she could find was that she now loathed the stream.

“I’m sorry to disturb you, but --”

Willow started and tried to jump up. Unfortunately her legs collapsed under her and she fell.

“Oh! Were you meditating?” Strong hands grasped her arms and helped her to to her feet.

“Yes. I mean, no. That is, I was trying to...” Willow tried to make out the figure of the man who was now helping her to the road near the stream.

“I thought so. Things didn’t look quite right to me, though. Why don’t I help you to someplace you can recover?”

~~~

When Willow woke up in a cozy bed the next morning she was warm, comfortable, and decidedly embarrassed.

When she got up and left the bedroom Willow found herself in another room that served as the kitchen and living area. There were some blankets in disarray in one corner, and the man who had helped her the previous evening was busy starting a fire. He looked up when she entered.

“There you are. How are you feeling?”

“Very well, thank you.”

Willow hesitated, looked around as though trying to escape from herself, then said in a rush “I suppose you want to know what I was doing.”

“I think I can guess.”

“Oh, what am I going to tell my teachers!”

“You could tell them that you spent the night in my bed. You don’t even have to mention that I slept elsewhere. I think that will stop their questions.”

Willow stared at him, at first appalled, but then she burst out laughing. She laughed until she was crying and could not seem to stop. Finally she was able to gasp out “Thank you. I just might do that.”

“You’re welcome. My name is Douglas.”

“I’m Willow.”

3 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Ask and you shall receive! Thanks for telling me how Willow and Douglas met. This is funny, but I actually have an assignment (due after Spring Break) that asks for a three part super short story. I'm to start on the present, then move to the past, and then get back to the future. This is kind of what you've done and I like it ;-)

Will add it to tomorrow's digest!

Judy said...

I would like to read more of this tale...where can I find it? I have a real liking for the name 'Douglas' ... (smiles)

Sarita Rucker said...

Magaly -- Interesting. I don't know why I used the three part form. It's just how these stories are working out!

Judy -- The only other story about this pair that I've put out there is "Douglas", which I posted a couple days ago. So far I have one other story about them (well, about Willow really) but I don't feel like it's really ready to be blog material yet.