Saturday, April 16, 2011

Gay rights

I normally try to avoid political issues on my blog, but there's an issue I've been meaning to address recently and a video that Debra shared made me finally decided to write it. First, the video she shared.



The issue I want to address is whether or not people of the same gender should be allowed to marry.

My short answer: yes.

My long answer includes an explanation for why my answer is yes.

For a while I didn't really think about this issue. Before I was 18 there was a law passed stating that homosexuals may not legally marry, and I didn't really care about it one way or another.

But then I met someone, a woman who is attracted to both men and women. Neither of us made a big deal about it, but she didn't try to hide it, and I found out about her orientation when she talked about previous girlfriend(s) and her (then) current boyfriend.

After we became pretty good friends I tried to imagine myself saying to her "So, if you fall in love with a man, that's great! I'll come to your wedding and everything. But if you fall in love with a woman? Sorry, you're out of luck." I knew I could never say that to her.

I don't think she even knows that it's thanks to her that I woke up and made up my mind about this political issue. An issue which really shouldn't be a political issue, but up to individuals about what's right for them.

Love is love. Some of us are attracted to the opposite gender, others to their own, some to both. Whatever the case might be, we're all equally capable of love. And we should all have the same rights, whatever our orientation.

What do you think? Or are you like I was before I met my friend, and haven't really thought about it?

5 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

I've always been of the mind that "love is love". No one should tell two adults that they can't marry. Maybe if more people love each other, we wouldn't have all the bad things that happen around the world. Call me idealist...

Wabaeni said...

As a gay man, I find the issue objectionable in the sense that it is prejudiced. I only care that others are passing laws based on prejudice and ignorance. I think it harms not only me but our society as a whole when we allow others to pass laws based on religious ideology and prejudicial worldviews. The exact laws or the rights they abridge are irrelevant.

Personally, I have no interest in marriage. The institution of marriage, I think, is a ridiculous concept. Now, that is not to say that I do not believe in an exclusive union of two consenting individuals! Indeed, I cherish it! But, that is not marriage; that's monogamy.

Marriage is a civil contract between two individuals that is officially recognized by the State. I do not see my monogamous relationship as being any business of any party other than my partner and especially not the State's!

So, while I rail against the State's designs to prevent me from marriage, I don't think it's the State's any business one way or the other! I think what we should be protesting is that unions between any two people--heterosexual or homosexual--must be officially recognized by the State to be considered valid!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I support same-sex marriage and I worked hard in the LGBT community here in Canada to help achieve it. But that doesn't mean that everyone HAS to get married. For instance, My Rare One and I are more than happy to just live in sin, as the old saying was! We've had a written cohabitation agreement drawn up by lawyers and hopefully that is all we'll need.

Water Monkey said...

I've come across reason upon reason as to why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, no good reason seems to ever pop up. I've heard of reasons from "gays aren't liked" to "it'll cause an increase in bestiality". It very much seems only prejudice is preventing gay marriage.

I am one of many who says "love is love", thanks to a personal view that one's abilities and actions prove more than such things as gender, age and sexual orientation. Due to the very view, not allowing gay marriage, or any other right for the matter, is seen as pointless.

Sarita Rucker said...

Wow. I didn't expect so many responses!

Magaly -- Let's make a club. We'll call it The Idealists. :)

Wabaeni -- You make some good points. However, two people forming a legal contract that is recognized by the state does have its upsides, among them being that spouses are allowed to be with their loved ones in hospitals. If marriage were removed from the whole equation (that is, if it no longer existed) I don't know how hospitals would differentiate between people who have a legit reason to be with someone in a hospital and the busy bodies who are just being nosy.

Debra -- If "living in sin" is your style and works, then I guess that works. :)

Water Monkey -- I can't bring to mind any good argument about why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed.