Sunday, April 17, 2011

Trust

Here is the final short story I will contribute to the blog party Witches in Fiction. Or anyways, it's the last one unless I dream up any more stories.

And yes, that's how I got this story: from a dream.

I blame my recent short story frenzy on Magaly. She's got my subconscious plotting witchy stories and my subconscious is giving them to me as dreams. Or something like that, anyways. ;)

Let me tell you a story of magic gone wrong.


Trust

Zeke had come to Whisp for help because she was a witch. And because he trusted her.

He had married another woman because he needed to produce an heir, not because he wanted to. In truth he was in love with Whisp.

Zeke had made his love known to her in the past. He did so not because he hoped that he could marry her, or even because he expected that his love would be returned, but because he could not remain silent.

Whisp did love him, but because she could never be considered suitable as the mother of his heirs she had decided that their lives would be easier if she politely kept him at arms length.

And now, here he was, come to her with a problem of a rather personal nature: he did not desire his wife, and so could not father the heir that he needed by her.

Whisp knew she should send him to another witch, but she also knew that he had chosen her because he trusted her above all others.

As she worked her magic she silently chanted Let this man be a father within the year.

Afterwards Whisp was exhausted, both physically and emotionally. She began to cry, and Zeke hesitantly put a comforting arm around her.

One thing led to another, as they say, and nine months later Whisp gave birth to a beautiful baby boy.

3 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

I would say that the magic went absolutely right (if you forget about the adultery bit... okay, so maybe it went a tiny bit wrong lol). I guess love won't be denied, huh?

I assume complete responsibility for my actions to your dreamy subconscious ;-D

Sarita Rucker said...

Hmm, I think whether the magic went right or wrong could be debated.

True, they had (at least) one night together. And who knows where else that one night led to?

However, he still doesn't have a (legit) heir, and she's had a child out of wedlock! I don't know how things turn out for them (hey, I'm only the writer -- I don't know anything) but they probably faced some trouble.

And I'm glad you're taking responsibility for making me write short stories! ;)

Sunshineshelle said...

I think he should listen to his heart & she hers, they could have done this & not had those messy ties of loveless marriage, no 'heir' anyway, I'm just thinking... maybe Whisp was not specific with chant for good reason ;)