Thursday, April 14, 2011

Two firsts

Today I have done two things I have never done before.

1) I cut someone's hair.

2) I washed someone's hair. That is, I washed someone else's hair for the first time! Obviously I have washed my own hair before. Many times. ;)

This all started out because mom asked me to help by washing grandma's hair. And then as I was about to wash grandma's hair she asked me to also trim it. I told her that I've never cut hair before and warned her that she might have to go to a professional afterwards to get the job done properly.

"I have faith in you" she assured me. I wished I just had faith in myself!

As I began to cut I found myself trying to think of a hair-trimming god/dess who I could pray to. None came to mind (I doubt that there are any deities specializing in hair cuts) and I eventually settled on Brighid, because she is a goddess of the hearth. I think she laughed at me, though. I know that in the end I laughed at myself in the end.

And I did an excellent job cutting grandma's hair, if I may say so myself. :)

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, you ARE artistic and that would help when cutting someone's hair!

Magaly Guerrero said...

I bet is was a great feeling! I remember the first time I cut my grandma's hair. I was SOOO nervous because it was the first time she cut her hair, EVER! She was 79 or 80 and all of the sudden decided it was too hot and her long white curls where annoying her. We buried the braid as a offering to the Earth. It was nice and uplifting. I was super happy to have been granted the responsibility.