Friday, May 20, 2011

Old Grey

Old Grey is a (young gray) cat who has set up territory in our backyard. This wouldn't be a problem except for the minor detail that we feed song birds, and Old Grey thinks that they look delicious.

Old Grey is by no means the only neighborhood cat who sometimes tries his luck with the birds we feed. There is the orange tom cat (or I assume it's a tom) and a host of other felines, including one who we call Kokopelle's twin (more on him later). But Old Grey is the one who really stands out.

In truth, not everyone in my family approves of me naming Old Grey. (Tall One definitely disapproves. And don't tell him about this blog post! Ssh.) But too late. Somehow the name just came to me, and it has stuck. And I like Old Grey.

Old Grey is the type of cat who I would love as a pet. Even as he's being run out of the yard he'll turn around and look at us, and it's pretty clear he's saying "MAKE me leave!" He makes us chase him all the way to the fence, and even over it. He's got (c)attitude, and I love him for it. Unfortunately this cattitude also make him a particular nuisance since we're trying to feed the songbirds. All the other cats are easier to chase off.

Tall One has finally put the high pressure nozzle on the garden hose, which is a favorite tool of his to run the neighborhood cats off with. I'm not sure what Old Grey thinks of it. I can imagine him laughing, though.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Instead of using the high pressure water nozzle, I think your brother should dress up in a dog costume and chase the cats out that way. Fun for everyone!

Sarita Rucker said...

Good idea! I think I should suggest this to him! ;)