Friday, May 13, 2011

Whew

Grandma is in a nursing home! Except, it isn't a nursing home. It's some sort of assisted living facility that specializes in dementia. But whatever it is, it's someplace that I think she'll be happy, and unlike here she'll have people around 24/7. And she'll have more opportunities to socialize, which I think she'll like. She often complained that our house is too quiet.

We took over furniture (bed, dresser, nightstand), her things, got her stuff unpacked, and...I think that's it.

Whew.

But of course, there had to be some excitement before she was safely installed in her new home.

This morning (just a few minutes before my alarm was going to go off) I heard her calling for help. Upon investigation I discovered that she had fallen down, was in pain, and couldn't get up. Mom wound up calling 911.

The paramedics checked her out, got her on her feet, and after a few more questions decided that she didn't need any emergency care.

Oh yes, and I was in my pajamas, with my hair unbrushed, while the paramedics were over. Since, of course, I had been in bed when the fun started and I only bothered to throw on a bathrobe.

And that was all of the fun we had today.

...actually, there was one more surprise in store for me. While we were going over paperwork with the head nurse person I found out that I am grandma's second medical power of attorney. Someone had neglected to mention that little detail to me.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm glad your grandma is in a safer place for her to be. And good thing she didn't break anything when she fell. Things should settle down now for all of you, hopefully.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Those little details no one mentions, huh?

Great that your grandma is at a place where she can function better. I hope you are close enough to visit often.

Sarita Rucker said...

Debra -- Things are definitely settling down. Which is a relief.

Magaly -- She isn't as close by as would be nice, but we'll still be seeing her. Mom will be taking her to her doctor's appointments and I'll tag along when possible.