Monday, June 20, 2011

Brighid

For today's Pagan Values Month post I am going to share a song about a very popular goddess: Brighid.

Brighid is a goddess of the home, fire, smith craft, inspiration (poetry), creativity, childbirth, healing...have I forgotten anything? I also think of her as a goddess of marriage, and therefor of relationships.

This song also considers her to be a goddess of land, streams, and dreams, none of which are generally attributed to her in the articles found through Google. But if I can find more qualities to attribute to her, why can't others? :)

Besides...

Brighid is a goddess of Ireland, and bodies of water (especially springs and I think streams) are often associated with divinities or other entities. So why not have Brighid associated with streams? Additionally she is sometimes considered one and the same with Danu (although I view them as two separate entities), who is the earth goddess of Ireland. From that viewpoint I guess it would make sense for Brighid to also be a land goddess. And Brighid is already a goddess of inspiration, which can come from dreams...and vice versa. So I guess it isn't a stretch to call her a goddess of dreams.

Ok, enough rambling. On to the music now!



If you're a very visual person like me and you want to see the lyrics you can just go directly to where the video is on YouTube and they're there.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I think Brighid is one of those Goddesses to whom all things are attributed sooner or later!

Sarita Rucker said...

Wouldn't surprise me. :)