Saturday, June 18, 2011

A hawk

I stepped into the backyard with a slice of peach pie. It's like apple pie, only with peaches, and I took my first delicious bite just as I stepped into the sun.

As soon as I was in the sun a shadow passed over me and was quickly gone. I guessed it was a hawk and this suspicion was confirmed when I looked into the sky, shielding my eyes from the sun with one hand while still holding my plate with the other.

My pie was half forgotten as I watched the hawk circle over my house and backyard. Its shadow fell on me a second time, and it even flew directly over me.

Hawks aren't an uncommon sight in my neighborhood. This is our third year in this house, and each year we have had red tailed hawks nesting on our block. Despite being used to them I love to watch them, and it's not often that they fly directly overhead.

The hawk's circles were drifting, getting further away from the front of our house and becoming more centered over my backyard. Then, to my surprise, a lone crow flew towards the hawk. I was even more surprised when this crow, all by itself, proceeded to harass the hawk.

I know that a group of crows will team up on hawks, but I had never heard of a single crow taking on a hawk by itself.

Thinking to myself that the crow was crazy I murmured "Silly crow."

The hawk continued circling, adjusting its wings at times when the crow got too close, and shrieking his displeasure. But soon enough he broke off circling to retreat over my house and out of my sight, back to where I know the hawk nest is and away from the crow.

I guess the crow had just wanted to keep the hawk away from a nest, or something else, because the crow flew off in the opposite direction when the hawk retreated.

Still surprised by what I had just seen, I took my second bite of peach pie.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like you had dessert and an air show!

Sarita Rucker said...

I guess that's one way of putting it. :)